21. oktober 2013

Tracking Plan

The purpose of this blog entry is to create an estimated tracking plan of how and when I'm going to complete the exercise of tracking my media use for 48 hours. This blog entry describes my specific plan for tracking my media use.

Overall, long-term, plan:
  • Brain dumps provide raw data which can be used effectively later on.
  • Vlogs provide raw data as well. By using Vlogs, as opposed to brain dumps, I can visually track media use, routines and habits. I plan to put op my old low resolution camera in my living room where I plan to be most of the time in the 48 hours. Whenever I leave the living room I will bring the video camera.
  • Fasting for 24 hours. This form of radical media diet is a good way of forcing to distance myself from using digital media, and thereby seeing my own use and general use in different perspective, thus hopefully providing me with rich data to be used later on.
  • The time period of my 48 hour tracking is from October 25th at 3PM to October 27th at 3PM.
  • I will be logging as much as possible of the digital activities that I will be fasting from later on. This include use of computers, smartphone, e-book readers etc., but will not include the use of TVs and radios.
  • I don't want to force myself into a digital activity by having to log the activities on my computer. Therefore I will be logging my digital activities by hand with physical pen and paper. For this I use my research journal that I have made ready for logging timepoints and -periods, activity description, usage description and personal thoughts.

I expect that it'll be difficult for me to log everything that I do regarding digital encounters as I think many of these are habits of mine. Likewise the way of logging and keeping my own digital activities under surveillance seems at first difficult to maintain through 48 hours. However I will do my very best !

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar